Thursday, June 10, 2010

Determinism or a free will

Do we have a predetermined fate that awaits us or do we make the decisions ourselves?
I am going to speak for myself because I don’t want to offend anyone, especially religious people.
I personally do not believe that we have a fate that is awaiting us. The only destiny we might have that is definitely predetermined for all of us is the death. Every living, breathing, kicking creature ends up dying. Other than that we are not preset to what we are going to do or who we will become. We make these decisions ourselves based on the circumstances, based on the actions of other people, and based on the outcomes of our own actions. Of course there is always a chance to calculate the possibility of someone else’s actions by determining what you are or somebody else is going to do. Just like playing chess, people calculate the probability of the next five steps.
Of course I am not denying the fact that we are influenced by the outside laws, like physical and electromagnetic laws. If there weren’t any laws of Nature, we wouldn’t be able to survive. But we still control our thoughts. For example, I know I cannot fly, because I don’t have wings, but I can still dream about flying. Therefore the law of gravity doesn’t affect my thoughts. Also let’s say someone made me very angry and I am thinking in my head, that I would like to hit this person. But I choose not to. As a result I am not driven by the electric activity in my brain to raise my hand and hit that person, instead I chose to create another electric activity that will allow me to turn around and simply leave. Based on this I can say that we do have a free will and laws of nature, physical and electrical laws are helping us execute our free will. Choices we decide to pick, actions we choose to make are executed with the help of laws of nature, but not always driven by them.
What are your thoughts?

No comments: